Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Reality TV...Don't we have anything else to do?

So sadly enough I have come to realize that Americans are either too bored or just plain living on auto. The fact that we spend multiple hours each day watching other people live their lives, maintain or in most cases break relationships, recover or fall back into drug and alcohol addictions, and most recently learn how to become a lady or a gentleman.
Just last night I have to admit I sat back and talked about the struggles, life lessons and everyday responsibilities my best friend and I have gone through in the last few months. Catching up on what the other has been up to and just swapping stories. Directly after we flipped on the tube and what else is on at 2 in the morning but MTV.
I can't believe I am actually saying this, but I watched about 4 hours of mindless television while I tossed and turned trying to fall asleep on my old, crappy futon. I watched G's to Gents and T.I.'s Road to Redemption. Clearly, I have my own issues in life, but somehow it's just easier to sit back and laugh at others. It kind of makes you forget how bad or boring your life might be.
I guess I just think it's sad that these days most young adults shadow their lives after those they see on MTV. What does this mean for the upcoming generations? What kind of Reality TV will my kids be watching in 10 years? I don't know about you, but I think the future of television is beginning to leave a shadow on the lives of those to come. Maybe it's just me, but I'm about ready for some real entertainment. What happen to all the artistic and creative minds that came to the forefront of television only years ago? Come back from your little huts in Tahiti and make some decent shows, please. I think the future of television relies on it.

No comments: