Thursday, October 30, 2008

Week 9-PR

So tonight at PRSSA Bill Sedzik, a professor at Kent State spoke to us on an interesting topic that not many people ever talk about. The topic is gender imbalance in PR. This particular topic jumped out at me. I noticed at conference that nearly 80-90 percent of students were women. Now I'm not going to lie, I don't mind seeing some sexy men walking around but women get on my nerves. If I saw one more Coach purse I think I was going to puke. Sorry, I just had to get that out. Getting back on topic...Women are career women, willing to sacrifice to get ahead and for the most part are good communicators.

I feel that men are intimidated, or just don't feel like they can have the power they are striving for in the future. This mindset needs to shift or eventually men will be totally out of the profession. I don't want the time to come when men simply get a job just because they need to fill quota. I also don't want to make less money just because those in power feel like we do less of a job. Women have proved themselves for the last I don't know how many years, but men need to step it up.

I feel that more information needs to be created in order to turn the heads of men, for the future of PR. Starting at a younger age group, making high school's aware, and proving that those in the PR realm aren't just soft, creative, chicks who look pretty and know how to get what they want. We aren't spin doctors, we aren't just full of BS and we don't just make love not war. You men out there...this is for you! Become aware, show you care and prove you are just as much if not more capable of charming and chatting than the pretty, little ladies around you.

No comments: