Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week 7-PR

In my voyage to the library, and my extensive research, I came across a book entitled Adcult USA. First of all I would like to say I did not know it was possible to write 350 pages on advertising. Second, I have to admit, I thought it was pretty interesting and learned some things I never even knew applied to that topic.
I thought it was amazing how not only advertising, but the avenues used have changed so drastically in the last 100 years. Newspapers, radio, television, Internet and the sub categories most aren't even familiar with. Advertising has mad our culture what it is today, however recognizing that is not always clear cut.
In today's society brands are what sells. We don't even have to know what a product is or how it works. If we are familiar with the brand and one of our friends (through word of mouth) tells us to try it we give it a go with no hesitation. If we see an advertisement we try to avoid it.
The Internet is the new hot spot for ads. People are willing to spend money avoiding commercials or ads by purchasing tools such as Tivo. They will turn off the tv or fast forward through a video. Now a days the Internet puts it in your face, placing advertisements in avenues we aren't even aware we are affected by.
The industry has to be smart and keep up with the times in order to continue to have an affect on our generation. Otherwise, they are just waisting their money and our time.

No comments: